Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Ohio

Letter of Authority

My friends brother died and made him beneficery, he needs a Letter of Authority, Letter of Administration or a court order to get into his brothers bank account to pay his final bills, How can he obtain any of these 3 documents.

Asked on 2/11/09, 10:58 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Elizabeth Schmitz Elizabeth S. Schmitz Attorney at Law

Re: Letter of Authority

A letter of authority is issued by the probate court after someone has been appointed executor or administrator of an estate.

If the only asset in the estate is the bank account then he might be able to apply for a Release from Administration and get a court order to release the bank account.

Your friend needs to talk to a probate attorney who can help him get the proper documentation and administer the etate.

Read more
Answered on 2/11/09, 11:17 am

Anthony Rifici Rifici Law Office

Re: Letter of Authority

Your friend needs to see a probate attorney and apply to the probate court for authority to administer the estate. It would be helpful for the attorney to know if the decedent had a will or not and the exact nature of the bills. If the assets are less than 35k in value, the estate could avoid a full probate administration and instead a Release from Administration could be applied for, which would speed things up and cost less.

Read more
Answered on 2/11/09, 1:01 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Ohio