Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Ohio

My son's father just passed away in another state, we are divorced since 1992. what legal rights does my son have to his fathers estate. My son is the only child his father had.

Asked on 1/02/10, 8:24 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Elizabeth Schmitz Elizabeth S. Schmitz Attorney at Law

Sorry to be so vague but your answer depends on the law of the state where your son's father passed away, the type of property he owned and whether he had a will. If he was married the surviving spouse may have some rights.

You need to consult with an attorney in the state where your son's father lived.

Read more
Answered on 1/07/10, 8:32 am

Harold Hom Harold L. Hom Co., LPA

You need to contact an attorney in the state of the father's residence. The laws of that state controls what rights, if any, your son has. In most states, your son has no rights to inherit. However, if the father did not do a Will and has no wife, then your son normally would be entitled to inherit everything.

Harold Hom

Read more
Answered on 1/07/10, 8:37 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Ohio