Legal Question in Business Law in Oklahoma


Days ago we found out that the office manager for our Family practice has been forging checks, generously spent money on at least 7 credit cards (that we know of), passing the purchases as business expenses.She also used manipulation, fear, gossip, lies to run the business. We have notified the bank and closed the business account. There are currently 2 doctors in the practice, but the crimes have been going on for 3 years. We confronted her and she confessed of many sins. What is the next step? In hours we are going to file a police report. How can we find a lawyer that specializes in cases like that.

Asked on 8/19/08, 7:57 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Graves The Law Office of John H. Graves, PLLC

Re: embezzlment

Recovering the money that was stolen can happen in two ways. First, you can sue in civil court to recover for embezzlement, fraud, misappropriation, unjust enrichment, breach of fiduciary duty, etc. Second, through the criminal process you can recover money ordered to be paid as restitution.

Each process has its strengths and weaknesses. The major weakness with recieving restitution through the criminal process is that it takes a loooong time to receive money and it is likely to be paid out over a period of time. In the civil process there is the possibility of obtaining a default or consent judgment and executing on her property. The civil process is one that you control, as opposed to the District Attorney in the criminal process, and one that you can move along fairly rapidly. I would be happy to discuss your options further; please email if I may be of assistance.

Read more
Answered on 8/19/08, 10:20 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Oklahoma