Legal Question in Personal Injury in Oklahoma

Handling accidents outside Insurance

I was hit while at work and the person that hit me wishes to handle it outside of the insurance carrier. I don't know the person personally, but she works at my company and therefore could find her easily if I needed to (and I have her address). she refused to give me her insurance information which I requested for a just-in-case scenario of her not paying. i also informed her i would need a rental car, which she would have to pay for. Was this wise and am I handling this correctly? (The wreck caused minor damage to my bumper, but I am going to get it fixed.)

Asked on 5/19/04, 3:35 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Graves The Law Office of John H. Graves, PLLC

Re: Handling accidents outside Insurance

Not wise. Her refusal to give you her insurance information probably means she has none. Not calling the police, even on private property, means that there is no official report. In Norman the police will take accident reports even if accidents occur on private property. If she does not promptly pay you for your repairs and a rental car, you should contact your insurance company. If she pays promptly and you are satisfied with the repair, all is well that ends well.

Read more
Answered on 5/19/04, 4:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Oklahoma