Legal Question in Tax Law in Oklahoma

My grandson has been living with and supporting his 19 year old fiancé for a year and a half. All of 2022. She is unemployed and he has paid all the bills. He filled his income tax listing her as a dependent and it was rejected because someone else filled with her as a dependent. They are pretty sure it is her estranged father. They have no relationship and she cannot ask her father because she is afraid of him. Is there a tax form they can fill out to report this to the IRS? Thank you.

Asked on 3/22/23, 8:19 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Richard Bryan Richard Bryan Attorney PC

Your grandson was not entitled to claim his girlfriend as a dependent. Dependents are usually minor children, but can sometimes be parents, grandparents, or siblings. See IRS Publication 501.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 3/23/23, 11:40 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Oklahoma