Legal Question in Traffic Law in Oklahoma

Court system in favour of Officer and City of Oklahoma City.

I have a question on here about a cop sitting in a parking lot catching speeders ..... a very nice man got back to me and informed me its legal. My court date was today. I took off of work early to come to the court house. When my name was called I was informed that the Officer is away due to being in the Armed Services. The Judge informed me that we had to continue at a later date. I told the Judge that I was here today and that I had to take off work, can we please take care of this today. I have had officers not show up before and I was able to get my ticket money back. The Judge told me AGAIN that we can continue it at a later date. Now I have to wait till May 2nd.... 4 MONTHS later from when I was pulled over. I was very upset and being that their was around 7 or 8 other officers in the court room I didn't make a scene. I just went ahead and let the Judge reschedule and I walked out. Is their anything I can do NOW or is it too late? Should I talk to the Judge or someone over her? Thanks for any help!

Asked on 2/28/02, 9:31 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Sharon Cole Jones Sharon Cole Jones, Esq.

Re: Court system in favour of Officer and City of Oklahoma City.

It sounds as though you entered a not guilty plea at arraignment and were set on the trial docket. Had you requested a conference with the prosecutor, you would not have been set for trial. You still may have a chance to consult with the prosecutor to work a deal which may include probation with defensive driving school. The deal depends on the original charge. I will caution you though, about trying to make a deal (plea bargain) after a trial has been set. Many times the prosecutor wants to go ahead and have the trial because your request for a trial made them work - prepare for the trial by issuing a subpoena for the officer. However, due to the fact that the officer is away on military duty, the prosecutor may still work a deal for you to dispose of the ticket. As I mentioned above, the prosecutor may not be inclined to assist you personally on this matter. The prosecutor is more likely to work with an attorney to make a deal. My suggestion is that you hire an attorney who handles traffic matters. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 3/01/02, 5:18 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Oklahoma