Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Oklahoma

Stepfather throws out invalid after invalids mother dies.

Before Mother died she had me type her a will, it disappeared. She died a week and a half later. My brother is a C-4 quad, and a disabled vet. that my mother took care of as caregiver for nearly 30 years. Now I do. Our stepfather decided that he wants wo keep the intire home place to himself and has filed a protective order on my brother while he's in a VA hospital for surgery. We, my 4 brothers and I built this house in the late 60's and he married Mom around 1973 or 74. His name has never been on title. Our real father was killed in the Air Force on duty in 1955. He had bought each of us 3 full brothers bonds that were used to build the house and buy the property. This was our inheritensce twice and now it looks like things are just stacked against my brother. What is the law in Oklahoma in this situation? Thank You

Asked on 4/13/05, 1:18 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Hunt John

Re: Stepfather throws out invalid after invalids mother dies.

There is more involved in your situtation than can be dealt with here. You need to consult with an attorney. Most attorneys will consult with you without charge. Just call and ask one in your area that deals with Probate. It sounds as if your step-father is relying on the rights of a surviving spouse to continue living in the home after the death of the other spouse. This may not apply to your situation since the property may actually be owned in joint-tenancy between your deceased mother and you children even if the deed does not reflect this. Therefore his rights may not apply to this particular property. The facts are unclear at this point.

Read more
Answered on 4/16/05, 12:36 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Oklahoma