Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Oregon

I live in Oregon, but opened a credit card in Washington state, 7 years ago. Today I got a judgement letter from a law firm in Oregon stating that I owe just over $5,000. They have a Writ of Garbishment issued to my financial institution, since I have been a stay at home mother of two and trying to get published for the last seven plus years. If they went offer my bank account would they take it all at once? What if I don't have that much? Please help and thank you.

Asked on 9/17/13, 12:02 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Clarke David C. Clarke, Attorney at Law

Up to the full amount of the judgment debt could be taken, however, bank account funds traceable to some sources are exempt. One such exemption is for money traceable to child support payments. There are others. Read the enclosure that you should have gotten with the notice of garnishment. There should also be a Challenge to Garnishment form to use if exempt funds were garnished. It's not terribly complicated and you could probably do it yourself but it's a good idea to consult an attorney to avoid mistakes.

Read more
Answered on 9/17/13, 6:08 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Oregon