Legal Question in Family Law in Oregon

I have physical custody of my child and need to work out of state for a month at a time throughout the year. If I leave my child with the non custodial parent during these times, will that hurt my chances of obtaining permission to move with the child to my out of state work site in the future?

Asked on 10/15/13, 7:48 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Clarke David C. Clarke, Attorney at Law

It won't help but the bigger issue is the impact on the child should you relocate. If challenged by non custodial parent, the questions will focus on what is in the best interest of the child with "stability" and "extended family" connections being near the top of the list. Child's age would be considered as it could be thought more difficult for an older child with established connections to relocate than it would for a younger child, especially one who is not yet in school. I suggest you find a family law lawyer you are comfortable with and make an appointment for a consultation. Then you can get into more of the details of your situation and get a more informed analysis.

Read more
Answered on 10/18/13, 11:58 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Oregon