Legal Question in Family Law in Oregon

can someone voluntarily give up all parental rights to a child before the child is born? If so where would they get the papers to do this?

Asked on 5/16/13, 12:17 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Clarke David C. Clarke, Attorney at Law

Before a child is born there is no child and thus no parental rights to give up. But giving up parental rights is easy, just don't exercise any of them. However, you will not be able to give up parental responsibilities and obligations so easily. For example, the state can order you to pay child support even if you have no actual relationship with the child. You could even have your parental rights taken away by the state (for cause) and still be required to pay support. Beyond the legalities, why would you want to give up all parental rights? After all, he/she will be your flesh and blood. You may not like it but you own it.

Read more
Answered on 5/16/13, 12:53 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Oregon