Legal Question in Legal Ethics in Oregon

i am 22. i have worked at heikka machine since i was 12. i had no childhood. i work for my father. i work in the shop alone.he works in the office.i have not been paid for 9 months. and i put in at least 160 hrs/mo and recieved 1000.00. always 1000.00. i have had metal taken out of my eyes twice. i have no medical insurance. i also cut the tip of my finger off. he had kept promising that i would get paid even if he fell behind on my pay he would catch up.he hevily berates me and my wife,constantly.i live an hour away from work. he made me feel like i owed him to come in and out of love and respect i believed he would eventually pay me. iam losing my house ,car and my lights have been shut off,still no pay. yesterday he phisically attacked me and i left. not the first time. could you tell me if i can take him to court for back pay, gas and the cost of my injuries on the job? he is getting rich off the sweat off my back.what kind of case do i have? what category do these issues fall in? thank you

Asked on 1/26/11, 7:11 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Daniel Meek Daniel W. Meek

Yes, you can sue him for all those things. Also, the State requires that he have workers compensation insurance that would pay you for your on-the-job injuries.

I do not handle cases like this, but the law firm of Kafoury McDougal in Portland does. You can reach them at 503-224-2647 or [email protected] They provide an initial consultation visit for you at no charge, and they usually take cases on a "contingency" basis, which means that you do not have to pay them, unless they succeed in obtaining money for you from the entity that harmed you.

Read more
Answered on 1/27/11, 4:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Legal Ethics & Professional Responsibility questions and answers in Oregon