Legal Question in Personal Injury in Oregon

Hi I live in Oregon, there is a law that all dogs are to be on leashes. I took my 7 year old daughter to a children's park not a dog park, As she was walking into the play area two dogs came after her with no leash on. They chased here until she stopped then both attacked her. She suffered to bits to the leg. My husband and I had to chase the dogs off of her. The owners of the dogs never tried to get them off of her or so much as called there dogs. We had to find them as they were trying to take the dogs and walk away. We called the police and filed a report and told them we want to press charges. So far animal control is trying to find shot records and haven't found any. We took my daughter to the hospital right after and she had to receive a tetanus shot. Which was added pain on top of the dog bites plus emotional trauma. The wounds are not severe but I feel she was wronged and the pet owners were very irresponsible! What can we do about this? Thank you

Asked on 8/12/13, 5:31 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Daniel Meek Daniel W. Meek

You can sue them for damages. If you would be satisified with $10,000 or less, you can file yourself in small claims court. For more information on filing in small claims court, see

If you want more, you should consult an attorney. I do not handle cases like this, but the law firm of Kafoury McDougal in Portland does. You can reach them at 503-224-2647 or [email protected] They provide an initial consultation visit for you at no charge, and they usually take cases on a "contingency" basis, which means that you do not have to pay them, unless they succeed in obtaining money for you from the person or entity that harmed you.

Read more
Answered on 8/12/13, 11:40 pm

Sam Hochberg Sam Hochberg & Associates

Before filing suit, you may be able to resolve the matter with the homeowner's insurers for each dog. But I DO think you ought to have a lawyer handle that, and most who do this kind of work will handle it on a contingency, so you don't have to pay up front. And, I would get started with a lawyer, whomever you choose, asap. There are always time limits on these cases, and evidence and memories can fade.

My former associates formed a firm, LAWRENCE & RUFF, (Dylan Lawrence & Brian Ruff) and I'd give them a try, at 503-224-1588. They're online at Good luck! Tell them Sam sent ya.

-- Sam Hochberg

Read more
Answered on 8/13/13, 5:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Oregon