Legal Question in Personal Injury in Oregon

If my our son was injured by a negligent driver,and permenantly disabled,Insurance co. said they will settle for the limits of libillity.He has to sign a release saying he's on his own for life with injuries, does that mean if he can't work at a job that has enough pay(if he can even find someone to give him a job) to afford health Ins. and still eat.Is it wise to settle,just to pay all the medical bills from accident? How does this work,what should he do? Please help.

Asked on 1/30/14, 10:02 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Daniel Meek Daniel W. Meek

Absolutely do not settle your claims without consulting an attorney expert in personal injury. If the other driver was negligent, the other driver is responsible for compensating your son for all of his injuries and costs, for life. There may well be sources of funds other than the one insurance company, and the insurance company may not be telling you the truth about the policy limits.

I do not handle cases like this, but the law firm of Kafoury McDougal in Portland does. You can reach them at 503-224-2647 or [email protected] They provide an initial consultation visit for you at no charge, and they usually take cases on a "contingency" basis, which means that you do not have to pay them, unless they succeed in obtaining money for you from the entity that harmed you.

Read more
Answered on 1/31/14, 1:57 am
Matthew Kaplan Kaplan Law, LLC

You should retain an attorney that handles auto injury cases. Not only will a good lawyer get your son a fair amount, but they will also work with the medical providers to reduce the amounts that need to be paid back. An injury attorney will also try and find other insurance policies that might also be available for your son. You can reach my office for a free consultation at 503 226-3844.


Read more
Answered on 1/31/14, 9:13 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Oregon