Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Pennsylvania

Is there a law against the amount of money someone can try and garnish from your wages? I am a single mom with two children and someone wants to garnish about 60% of my paycheck. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on 3/29/11, 9:50 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Richard Teitell Richard K. Teitell, Esquire, P.C.

In PA there is no wage garnishment allowed except for payment of child support or spousal support. If someone has a judgment against you they can try to collect through other means, but not wage garnishment. If a debt collector threatened wage garnishment it may be a violation of federal law.

Read more
Answered on 3/29/11, 11:05 am

Glenn Brown Real World Law, P.C.

What Richard said but add student loans to the garnishment list. Is there a judgment against you?

Find a local lawyer who does bankruptcy law or debt collection defense to advise you.

Read more
Answered on 3/29/11, 11:40 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Pennsylvania