Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Pennsylvania

It has been almost two months since I moved out of my old apartment and I still have not received my security deposit or a list of "damages" that my security deposit was used for! My old landlord finally called me back and left me a message stating that it cost her $1200.00 to fix the apartment so that it would pass inspection? Can I sue for my security deposit? And if so can I sue for more than the amount owed to me?

Asked on 5/25/10, 7:41 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Matthew Kelly Kelly Law

Hi the landlord tenant act provides that if you comply with the terms of the lease regarding termination , i.e, give your keys back etc and provide a forwarding address that the Landlord has to give you a description of damages and/or return your deposit within 30 days, so yes you would be able to sue if all of the above were true. I do believe it you can get more than the actual deposit, depends on facts and circumstances and what the DJ wants to do.

Read more
Answered on 5/26/10, 3:46 am
Charles A. Pascal, Jr. Law Office of Charles A. Pascal, Jr.

You can sue for double your security deposit if all of the conditions listed by Attorney Kelly are met.

Read more
Answered on 5/26/10, 4:23 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Pennsylvania