Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in Pennsylvania

My daughter was engaged to be married in August. Her fiancÚ broke it off . My question is can we legally make him responsible for any of the wedding expenses? He was there when we paid the caterer and signed along with my daughter for use of the wedding ceremony facility. Is this a breech of promise?

Thank you.


Asked on 6/11/13, 7:00 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

No. Not unless the fiance agreed in writing to pay for anything or signed any of the contracts. him being there when you paid the caterer means nothing. The question is whether he signed the contract or not. You indicate that he signed for the wedding facility. For that debt, if both the fiance and the daughter sighed, your daughter needs to read the contract and see whether there is any liability or what happens to the deposit in terms of cancellation. Who paid for the deposit?

If there is any financial liability owed to the wedding facility, then the facility will come after the fiance and your daughter if it is not paid. To the extent that your daughter pays the liability, then she can go after the fiance for what is called contribution and she can recover 1/2 of what she paid.

If there is no liability owed to the facility, then that is it. There is no contract between your daughter and her fiance or you and the fiance regarding wedding expenses.

PA abolished so-called "Heart Balm" actions for breach of promise to marry long ago. I am sorry that things did not work out, but there is no cause of action for this any longer. It would be better if your daughter and her fiance, the next time around, paid for their own wedding, and set a budget and the fiance would be responsible for some things and your daughter would be responsible for some things, or else they should have an agreement spelling out what would happen in the event either party decides not to go through with the marriage.

Read more
Answered on 6/11/13, 11:13 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania