Legal Question in Consumer Law in Pennsylvania

I am in a lease agreement for my vehicle and all of a sudden the dealership is packed and moved to an unknown location and I cannot reach them through their phone number or website. I was made to sign an agreement stating I could not take the vehicle anywhere else for any issues and I am to receive free oil changes with my lease. I am unable to contact them at all and need to know if this is a breech of contract and what to do about it. Please help.

Asked on 11/20/13, 1:40 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

What kind of car is it? I would go to a dealer who deals in the same model of your car (if its a Toyota, go to a Toyota dealer, if a Chevy, a Chevy dealer and so on). Find out if the dealer knows anything about the dealer who suddenly disappeared. If they know nothing, see if they will honor the deal.

If you have a valid lease then any dealer should be able to accept the car at lease end. They should also be willing to accommodate on oil changes and so forth because they know if they are good to you, you might get your next car from them when your lease is up.

If you cannot get any help, try contacting the Pennsylvania Auto Dealers' Association or the State Board of Vehicle Manufacturers & Dealers. They may have some advice.

In a worst case scenario, you may not get any of the perks (like free oil changes) from a new dealer if the old one has gone out of business. But you should be able to turn the car in to an licensed dealer who sells these vehicles.

Read more
Answered on 11/20/13, 9:27 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania