Legal Question in Consumer Law in Pennsylvania

I purchased a sectional last September through RAC Acceptance at Value City. About a month ago, I found out that this particular model is now discontinued. I have several tears and problems with the couch that need to be replaced or repaired, however, Value City cannot repair them because it's discontinued. I've paid over $1,800 through RAC, and still owe about $1,300. The original cost of the couch was about $2,000. I haven't even had it 1 year yet and it's falling apart. I expected it to last a little longer for the price I'm paying. How can I possibly get a replacement couch or get out of this RAC agreement? I don't want to continue paying for a couch that's junk and can't be fixed.

Asked on 7/14/13, 2:48 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Rent a Center should be called RIP OFF Center. These rent to own places are bad deals as you end up paying far more than the item is worth than if you went to a store and bought it..

If you don't want the couch, bring it back. You will have no further obligation. I would have to see your contract to see if there is anything in there about refunds or transferring what you paid for the couch to something else. You should definitely read it before you return the couch - there might be something in there obligating you to pay for damage.

If you can, my advice would be to take the couch back and never deal at rent a center again. Look for something decent in the pennysaver or a thrift-type of store so you have something to sit on and save your funds up for what you want and then go buy it.

Read more
Answered on 7/15/13, 10:09 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania