Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Pennsylvania

Civil lawsuit, I was recently involved in a civil case where the neighbors two animals attacked my animal on my property causing roughly $3000.00 worth of damages to my animal. We went to court 3 times. They lost all 3 proceedings. They was ordered to pay the amount said above. I filed a paper or lien against them at the county courthouse. They have yet to even make an attempt to pay for any of the damages done. What procedures more could I take to at least recover some of what they owe me if not all. And trying to get them to even set down and make arrangements for payment will not happen I have tried. They are to irresponsible besides other things

Asked on 10/15/12, 1:45 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

I don't understand how there were 3 proceedings unless this started off in small claims court and was appealed; the case would next be heard in arbitration and then possibly by the trial court.

PA is a non-wage garnishment state for most debts. Entry of a judgment is not a guarantee of payment. If you want to collect on the judgment, its up to you to file a writ of execution. With that, you can garnish (freeze) their bank account. I suggest that you speak to a lawyer who practices in the county where the judgment debtor resides. You need an attorney who speciliazes in the collection of debts/judgments.

However, you answer your own question - if they are irresponsible, and are judgment proof , have no bank account and don't care about their credit, then there is not much you can do. But talk to an attorney and do a brief asset search to see if they have any property or assets worth seizing.

Liens on real property can be revived every 5 years and liens continue on personal property (like bank accounts) for 20 years. The judgment will be on their credit report for 7 years from the date of entry.

Read more
Answered on 10/15/12, 11:08 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania