Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Pennsylvania

I was in the hospital last year for one day and I have medical bills for over $5000 that I am unable to pay in full. I have been making a payment every month but I received a letter that the hospital is turning it over to a collections agency. I thought as long as I made a payment they couldn't turn it over. I don't have the money to pay it off or a credit card to put it on. What should I do? Thank You!

Asked on 8/26/13, 7:51 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Welcome to the medical debt world.

No, this is a myth that you can avoid collections by making payments. A hospital is not required to be a bank and let you pay on the easy payment plan. They do not have to take payments in whatever amount you unilaterally decide upon and they can turn you over to collections when the bill is delinquent.

What should you? It depends on your situation.

If you can borrow the funds, get them and get this paid off and then repay your creditor.

If you cannot borrow the funds, start saving up and hope you can resolve the debt at some point and that you do not get sued within 4 years after the date of your last payment..

If you have a lot of other debts, consider filing bankruptcy.

Read more
Answered on 8/26/13, 5:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania