Legal Question in DUI Law in Pennsylvania

I believe this is a unique case as I have not found any blog post pertaining to this situation. I also contacted and they said they werent sure what to do. I lost my license due to a second d.u.i. (Interesting story in itself, please ask if your interested). The license suspension was for one year. I surrendered my license to the court on June 11th 2012. Shortly thereafter I received the restoration requirements letter stating the dates of suspension and restoration for both my personal and commercial drivers license. On may 6th, 2013, I called penndot to ask about the final restoration letter as I had completed all requirements set forth by the court and paid all said fees/fines. I was informed that I had no credit toward the suspension because I did not surrender a motorcycle permit I had obtained almost a year before. I had gotten the permit on a whim because I drove a coworker to penndot for a cdl test and had nothing else to do. I never bought a motorcycle and completely forgot about the permit. The permit itself expired on July 6th 2012, less than a month after I thought my suspension went into effect. After talking with a penndot employee, I was advised to send in a form stating that my motorcycle license is expired, then my suspension credit can begin. (Which would mean an additional year of suspension). She also advised that I send a letter requesting back credit be given. I have written the letter and completed the paperwork. Can anyone give me advice on this situation. I am getting married on June 29th 2013. We planned for that date because I would have my license back. I understand it was my fault for not surrendering my permit, but would like to have credit from the time it expired. Thank you very much.

Asked on 5/13/13, 6:07 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Debra Rainey The Law Office of Debra D. Rainey

First I would suggest you locate the letter that Penn Dot sent to you informing you that your license was suspended. The letter should have directed you to send to Penn Dot all licenses, permits etc. If the letter did not mention "permits", write the letter to Penn Dot and assert that you were not aware that you had to send in the permit. Include the Penn Dot surrender license letter to bolster your position. If you get no relief from Penn Dot you may need an attorney to file a Petition in the Court of Common Pleas seeking a judicial order giving you the time credit you require.

Read more
Answered on 5/13/13, 7:26 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania