Legal Question in Family Law in Pennsylvania

I have two children from a previous marriage. My ex husband has been in and out of their lives only seeing them a total of three times in thelast yea. He has a new girlfriend and a new baby with her. He continues to call maybe once a week but still continues to not see them or break plans to have them. His new girlfriend is keeping him from being an active part of our childrens lives. I am married to a wonderful man who helps raise and financially supports all our children. I get very little in support from their bio father. Am I able to have his parental rights taken from him without his consent so my husband can adopt?

Asked on 11/30/11, 4:44 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

William Helzlsouer W. J. Helzlsouer

A parent's right can only be taken away by consent or through a process of involuntary termination of parental rights. There are specific criteria considered by the court in terminating right. In order to assess the matter, you would need to meet with an attorney and discuss all the aspects of the relationship to determine if an involuntary termination would be made by the court in order for your spouse to adopt the children.

Read more
Answered on 12/01/11, 6:49 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Pennsylvania