Legal Question in Family Law in Pennsylvania

My ex-girlfriend's birth control failed and she got pregnant. I told her day one I did not want any more children(had one with my ex-wife and the child support burns my paychecks and i'm struggling due to divorce aftermath) and initially we were going to terminate it. She's on SSDI for multiple reasons and her overly religious parents found out and she bailed out on the abortion and stated she was going to put it up for adoption multiple times. Months go by and now she's stating she's thinking about keeping him. I really don't want another child and I forbid a child raised in that house(they had a heroin junkie live there for a bit till she got arrested, I had to take my ex-girlfriend to the ER three times in the two months we dated). Do I have any options outside of take him for custody if she does not listen to reason? I'm sure voluntarily terminating my rights will hit me with further child support due to the SSDI, correct?

Asked on 5/19/16, 1:13 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Davidson Law Office of John A. Davidson

No you can't voluntarily terminate your parental rights. The state won't allow you to make your child an orphan. Unless the child is adopted you're on the hook for child support until the child is 18 or graduates high school whichever occurs LAST.


Read more
Answered on 5/19/16, 10:34 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Pennsylvania