Legal Question in Family Law in Pennsylvania

I left my marriage and I've been separated for 2+ years. Barely making a living, I moved in with a male friend 5 months after leaving to help make ends meet. My husband filed online(and I agreed) for an uncontested divorce in March 2013 with the intent that we will split all assets and the house sale equally. We are still waiting for the final divorce papers to sign soon. He does not want to put our house on the market until at least next August 2014. One reason is so that my 24 year old adult son will have enough time to find his own place.... I cannot financially support myself on my own, but I would like to move into my own place now. I supplement my income with a small inheritance that I received a couple years ago. My income is mostly commissioned based . I hope to make approx. $20,000 this year, and hopefully more next year. Is it too late for me to file for support/APL? If I can get support, should I hold off signing the divorce papers until we sell the house next year?

Our home is paid for. I would like to take a home equity loan from it now, purchase a small condo with my share, and then pay it off next year from my half of the proceeds of our house sale. Even if I can do that, I will still be dipping into my savings to make ends meet and possibly even after our divorce. Is alimony an option after APL? What are the costs involved to obtain support and which party pays for the legal fees? Please advise and thank you.

Asked on 7/18/13, 9:13 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Glenn Brown Real World Law, P.C.

Sit down with a local divorce attorney. The cost of the consult may save your financial situation for many years to come.

Read more
Answered on 7/18/13, 2:18 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Pennsylvania