Legal Question in Family Law in Pennsylvania

I was wondering what are the chances of a grandparent getting custody of a grandchild in PA. I have had this child most of his life. He has always stayed at our home and with me, my husband and my 2 sons. He did not "Live with me " as she has always claimed him as a dependent for her insurance and food stamps. I have concerns for his well being as of lately the past year she has decided to have him home at times. This past weekend he walked off his soccer field to me and asked where his mom was. I was not sure but was looking for her. She blew up and left him with me and sent me messages to keep him cause she is done begging him to be in her family. Then she took her 16 year old daughters medication and left her 10 year old and 16 year old come home to no one there after school on Monday afternoon. The girl discovered her medicine gone and was concerned. She texted me to see if I had heard from her mom. Later, about midnight, her mom was located sleeping in her car at a local lake. She has left her home again and told my son (my grandson's father) that she was going for treatment. He is unsure if she did or if this is a way for her to party over Memorial Day weekend. When my grandson is with her , he misses many days of school and she lies why he is absent. She could not even get out of bed so that he was able to be to school on time for his school trip. She of course stated that her car broke down so he could not make it to school. My son is not much better. He has had involvement with drugs, lost his job and has no way to keep his son now nor would I feel good with him keeping him at this time. I just want to know what the chances of a person such as myself to get custody of my 8 year old grandson. If not me even one of my other children who are much more responsible and have been a big part of his life. Thank you for your time.

Asked on 5/26/16, 11:08 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Davidson Law Office of John A. Davidson

Based on your statements it looks like that you probably have standing. That said your grandson's mom sounds like she should be reported to Children and Youth.

It could go either way. You should talk to a local family lawyer as soon as possible.


Read more
Answered on 5/26/16, 11:20 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Pennsylvania