Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Pennsylvania

How can I check to see if I was officially "served"...I had papers left at my employment when I was not there and someone threw them away. I do not want a judgement filed against me. Apparently no one would talk to the guy who was the server and he waited almost an hour before leaving. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I live in PA and the case is in Florida.

Asked on 1/16/18, 11:54 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

John Davidson Law Office of John A. Davidson

you're going to need a Florida lawyer to check with the courts to see if a proof of service has ben filed. You should also get a copy of whatever was served.


Read more
Answered on 1/16/18, 12:07 pm
Richard Teitell Richard K. Teitell, Esquire, P.C.

Do you know in what court or county the lawsuit was filed? I don't know how you check online for FL lawsuits. If you know the county it's likely you can access the court docket & see what has been filed (but see below about proof of service issue). I suggest you post your question on the FL jurisdiction. Hopefully you'll get a response from a FL lawyer. If it was in PA as far as I know there's no way to do a statewide internet search on civil lawsuits filed against you. You'd have to check each county court web site. I don't know if FL enables you to do a statewide search of its court system (assuming the lawsuit is in state court & not Federal Ct). Also, in many instances the lawyer who filed the lawsuit doesn't file the proof of service until the default judgment is filed so you may not see the proof of service until it's too late. The other response you received is good advice. Your best course is probably to consult with an experienced FL litigation lawyer.

Read more
Answered on 1/17/18, 6:37 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Pennsylvania