Legal Question in Insurance Law in Pennsylvania

My husband and I have both disability and cancer insurance through a company which we've had since 2007. I have asked the company for copies of our policies, which they then direct me to their web site, which you are never able to print from. When I call back they state that all policies are just samples. My beef is that when we bought the cancer insurance a few years ago, we were told that we (a famly of 4) would be locked in at that price forever. Yesterday I recieved a letter stating that due to numerous claims (not from us), they would have to raise our premium. I called and got no where. They said it stated on page one of our policy that they could raise rates at any time, which I told her we have vever seen our policy because they won't give us a copy. She said she would order a duplicate for us. I've heard this before and have yet to see one. Do I have a right to file a class action suit for ALL of our premiums back from both policies as apparently they have not been forthright in answering any of my questions??

Asked on 7/26/11, 10:42 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Andrew Solomon Law Office of Andrew A. Solomon

I would call the Pennsylvania Insurance Commission, first to determine that the company is licensed to operate in PA and second, to file a complain against this insurance company for not providing you with information that they are legally required to provide. When it comes it to so called "cancer insurance" there are a lot of bogus insurance companies who exist solely to collect premiums and will not pay if a claim is ever made. If this is the case, you should consult an attorney about bringing a suit to recover the premiums you paid in the past. You can probably find out online if the company is licensed in PA by locating the Pa. Insurance Commission's website.

Read more
Answered on 7/26/11, 2:06 pm
Andrew Solomon Law Office of Andrew A. Solomon

As a follow up to my previous answer, you can determine if the company is licensed in PA by going to the following web site:

Read more
Answered on 7/26/11, 2:09 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Insurance Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania