Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Pennsylvania

I wanted information related to tenant rights in PA when there is no lease. The scenario is that someone currently lives with their romantic partner in the parents home which he owns for the past 14 months. The tenant has not paid rent to him for the past 6 months but has contributed the rent money informally according to a verbal agreement. The tenant also gets mail at the house. If their romantic partner who is also owner of the home wants to evict them how much notice are they entitled to before having to vacate. Also, what should the person (non home owner who is being evicted) do if their belongings are put outside or locks are changed?

Asked on 2/23/17, 12:27 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Davidson Law Office of John A. Davidson

Such tenents are called tenants at sufferance. you have to evict them the same way you would some one with a lease. You get a an eviction order from a DJ.

No you can't change the locks or put their stuff out. That is illegal.


Read more
Answered on 2/23/17, 12:53 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Pennsylvania