Legal Question in Medical Malpractice in Pennsylvania

my family received a letter from a hospital where my aunt died and it was very interesting in wording and when i did research i found that hospitals in this area in the past had issues with machines (more specifically the machine needed for my aunt) that caused further illness or even death. I need a lawyer to look at this letter and let us know if there is any help for my family. Thank you.

Asked on 2/13/19, 7:22 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jerry Meyers Meyers Evans & Associates, LLC

you have received a serious event letter. Under Pennsylvania law when a hospitalized patient is unintentionally subjected to harm that results in or might have resulted in a serious injury, the hospital is required to inform the patient in writing of the occurrence and the consequence or possible consequence. This letter is not admissible in evidence as proof of negligence. Such letters do not prove that a serious harm has occurred. You should contact a lawyer in your jurisdiction (County) who has particular experience in handling medical malpractice claims. You have not described your aunt's care or why you believe your aunt's death may have been caused or contributed to by the medical device, so I'm not able to provide further information. . If from your research hospitals in your area have reportedly subjected others in the past to harm it may be the case that lawyers in your jurisdiction have represented others subjected to the same risk. Sometimes it is necessary to secure legal assistance outside your county where lawyers may have more experience in dealing with such a case. in wrongful death cases any claim for damages must be brought within 2 years of the time of death. Delay in investigating the matter so that a claim may be filed in time subjects potential claim to needless risk. Lawyers who have experience in medical malpractice claims are very familiar with serious event letters and should be glad to help you determine whether a claim should be filed and who in your family would be an appropriate representative.

Read more
Answered on 2/13/19, 5:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Medical Malpractice Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania