Legal Question in Military Law in Pennsylvania

How can a bad conduct discharge effect your life involving employment? like what type of jobs would I be able to get and does it have the same effects as a dishonorable discharge?

Asked on 11/12/09, 11:04 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Brent Diefenderfer CGA Law Firm

A Bad Conduct Discharge has a extremely detrimental effect on your ability to obtain meaningful employment and education. Depending on the type of court martial, you may have a federal conviction on your record. As as general rule, the BCD and the Dishonorable Discharge disqualify you from all military related benefits, such as GI Bill, etc. You are elgible for certain programs such as vocational assistance, funeral expense on a case by case basis, whereas the Dishonorable Discharge makes you ineligible for all benefits.

It may be possible to upgrade your discharge if grounds exist for an upgrade by making an application to the Discharge Review Board and/or Board of Correction of Military Records. I assist former service members on such appeals. Feel free to contact me.

Read more
Answered on 11/18/09, 10:56 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Military Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania