Legal Question in Traffic Law in Pennsylvania

Hit and Run Accident

I just got into an accident 2 days ago with a company truck who slammed into the left side of my vehicle, ran me off the road, and took off. I injured my left shoulder and left side of my neck. I have pain mainly on the left side of my body. Can I sue the company, for their driver not stopping at all. A witness who was driving right behind me and is willing to testify went after him and got the company's name and his plate number. Some people have told me I should sue the company, some others say it's not their fault, it was the driver's. I immediately called 911, I ended up going to the Veterans Medical Center in Philadelphia, PA since I am a combat veteran and that is the only way I have insurance is through them. Pretty much I want to know if I can go after the company itself for the damage I incurred in my back, and the fact that I'm a bit freaked out to get back on the road now after he closed me in and ran me off the road.

Asked on 7/27/08, 3:36 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Re: Hit and Run Accident

Certainly you can file a lawsuit. If the employee was working at the time of the accident, the company is responsible for your injuries. Prior to filing a lawsuit, you should set up a claim with the insurance company - it is always possible a case may settle. Since you have two years to file a suit, your first priority should be getting healthy.

Please feel free to contact me directly with any further questions. I'd be happy to represent you or talk with you about any concern you have.

Read more
Answered on 7/28/08, 9:43 am

Solomon Weinstein Solomon Weinstein, Esquire

Re: Hit and Run Accident

If the facts are as you say, you most assuredly would have a claim against the driver and his company. Were you working at the time you were driving if so you may also have a workman's compensation claim. The police would porobably cite the drive for hit and ru, reckless driving failure to stop and other offenses. Your auto insutrance(first party benefits would also pay some of your medical benefits. You should speak with an attorney to help you out with these various issues. If you would like to speak further about your situation do no hesitate to call my office.

Read more
Answered on 7/28/08, 10:22 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania