Legal Question in Traffic Law in Pennsylvania

Motor Vehicle Accident

In January of 2007 I accidently backed into my now ex-girlfriend's aunt's car. Her aunt was not in the car or even awake at the time. My ex addressed me yesterday September 23 at my home and told me that she just noticed the small damage and it was going to cost $800 and she wanted me to pay her $300 to help with the cost of the damages. Is it my responsibility at this point to help her pay? Also, does she still have the right to charge me with hit and run even though it happened several months ago?

Asked on 9/24/07, 8:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Roger Traversa Arjont Group (Law Office of Roger Traversa)

Re: Motor Vehicle Accident

You asked about a hit and run accident.

When a vehicle strikes another vehicle the driver doing the vehicle which strikes is most often at fault. In this case there was no question as the other vehicle was parked. As you'll see on the news presently with Britney Spear's latest incident, that failure to acknowledge and make reparations for damage is a violation of law. It is hit and run.

You don't owe just a portion of the cost of the repair but it sounds like you are responsible for the entire cost of the repair.

As to your last question, it won't be her charging you with hit and run, but rather the police. Pony up, pay for the damage you did and move on.



Read more
Answered on 9/25/07, 12:26 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania