Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Pennsylvania

My mother in law passed away she I wed back taxes on her home the house went for sheriff sale my husband filed a motion to surpress and we missed the court date is it possible to get another date

Asked on 4/21/16, 1:09 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

You need a lawyer. Now. A suppression motion is not what you would have needed. You would have had to file a motion to stay the sale. Why did you let things get this far? Most states have an upset provision or period after which the property can still be redeemed by paying the taxes owed.

This is not a probate issue any more. You need to see a lawyer who is familiar with real estate tax sales in PA. This is outside my area of expertise and I don't feel comfortable advising you on procedure. If you cannot afford an attorney, try legal aid but beyond that, talk to the tax folks for the county where the property is located. Most of them have websites and helpful information there. If not, see if you are still within the redemption period and make an agreement to pay those taxes if you are.

Read more
Answered on 4/21/16, 10:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Pennsylvania