Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Pennsylvania

Can I as a parent in Philadelphia file for Court Appointed Guardianship of my minor daughter's estate. I am being told that I have to appoint someone else, she is 16 yrs old and was left an insurance policy by a recently deceased Aunt. How do I handle this situation?

Asked on 6/27/12, 8:31 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bonnie Moses Dessen, Moses & Rossitto

That is true. The reason is because the law sees it a a conflct of interest with the parent because the parent has an indepent duty to support their child. In some cases, the Court will permit the parent to serve as a joint guardian with another person, such as an aunt or uncle. Guardianship matters can be very complicated, and in most cases the case would be filed with the assitance of an experienced attorney.

To discuss this more, please call me at 215-242-3038

Samuel Rossitto, Esquire

Dessen, Moses & Rossitto

Read more
Answered on 6/27/12, 11:29 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Pennsylvania