Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Pennsylvania

where do i start

my friends mother died when he was under 18. his parents were divorced and his mother remarried. my friend thinks the stepfather kept his money. also, my friend is in pretty bad shape. i have to help him because hes barely kicking. he lives in an apt with his over the top alcoholic father. if he had recieved the money entitled to him hed never be in his predicament. when i say bad i mean bad. he needs all the help he can get. hes a good kid and ive known him since the 6th grade. he kinda died alittle when his mom died i guess and his life fell apart. so what im asking is, how can i help my friend collect the money he should have gone to college with and lived off of. instead of not even being able to take a shower. what all does he need? his mothers will? what kind of records? tell me anything i need to know to make a case please. if he had his money his life would make a complete 180. hes pretty lost now. losing a parent and having the other one not even functioning really at this point.

Asked on 10/25/07, 2:03 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mitchell Roth MW Roth, Professional Law Corporation

Re: where do i start

When his mother died, I assume they were resident in PA. She may not have had any significant property to leave. It may all have been in his stepfather's name. She may have had a will that left everything she did have to her husband. It may have been that if they had a house, it was a joint tenancy and all bank accounts were joint. Under these circumstances your friend would have inherited nothing.

There really is nothing you can do now.

Read more
Answered on 10/25/07, 2:23 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Pennsylvania