Legal Question in Immigration Law in Puerto Rico

Immigrating to the united States

I am planning on studying Law in Puerto Rico at The Maria Eugenio De Hostos which is not acredited by ABA yet it is in process they have given the school partial acreditation for 5 years permiting students to take the certification test and I want to know if I study here in that school in Puerto rico and I plan on moving to the United States after I finish will I be able to work as a lawyer? What is the process that I have to go threw? If I go to another school thta is acreditated by the ABA here in Puerto Rico will it be the same process? If I start Law School here in Maria Eugenia de Hostos and transfer to the USA will the accept those credits even if the scholl is in process of being acredited?

Asked on 11/09/03, 7:47 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Julio C. Alejandro Julio C. Alejandro Serrano Attorney at Law

Re: Immigrating to the united States

Your quetion was borderline of being rejected. Your question does not pertain to any legal matter but rather to requisites related to your prospective legal education. I will answer your question only inasmuch as it may be related to any immigration matter.

The immigration and naturalization act requires you to study in an institution that will issue a bona fide academic degree. You will need that if you attempt to study in the US with a student visa.

Only inasmuch is your question appropriate for BBS so I am limiting your request only inasmuch. Only a trained legal school counselor, and the personnel at the "Colegio de Abogados de Puerto Rico" can answer the remainder of your questions.

Read more
Answered on 11/10/03, 11:38 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Puerto Rico