Legal Question in Immigration Law in Puerto Rico

Unemployed Fiance with H1 visa

My fiance entered the U.S. with an H-1 visa. The company he was working for terminated his employment in Decemeber and he is now out of a job. If we get married can I still put in the application for him to receive his green card since his H1 isn't expired yet? Also how soon after being terminated from employment can he stay in the U.S.? Also can we apply for a green card directly from an H1 or do we have to apply for a different visa first? Thanks

Asked on 2/02/05, 10:27 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Julio C. Alejandro Julio C. Alejandro Serrano Attorney at Law

Re: Unemployed Fiance with H1 visa

You may file your spouse petition at any time after the two of you have married each other. However, if his status under the H-1 visa expires before he is able to adjust to the permanent resident status he will have to abandon the country and pick up his permit in another country.

Read more
Answered on 2/07/05, 10:11 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Puerto Rico