Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Rhode Island

small claims court

Is small claims court something I can pursue on my own to try to collect outstanding debt from patients that live and work in Rhode Island but came to my practice in Connecticut? If not, what is my best way to try to get delinquent payment.

Asked on 3/26/04, 10:53 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Stephen Silverberg Silverberg Law Office

Re: small claims court

Connecticut small claims court will reject any claim against a person whose address is not in Connecticut.

You have to use the RI small claims court. That is better anyway because if you get a judgment you have to collect it, which means you have to attach their wages in RI, or their bank accounts in RI, etc. You have to have a RI judgment to do that.

In Connecticut, all kinds of small claims materials are available on the Internet; maybe you can find the same things for RI. Remember, the only time you or your billing supervisor actually have to go to court in RI is if the claim is challenged. Also remember that "my insurance is supposed to pay this" is NOT a legal defense, and the small claims judges know this.

Read more
Answered on 3/26/04, 4:52 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Rhode Island