Legal Question in Family Law in Rhode Island

My daughter is 31. Her biological father never paid child support. I want to know if I can sue him for retro support. I married another man just before her birth, and it is my husband's name on the birth certificate not the biological father. There was never a court order for child support. Thank you.

Asked on 5/30/16, 10:47 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Christopher Pearsall Law Office of Christopher A. Pearsall, Esquire

Child support is considered to be accruing when the court orders that it is due or to be paid. Unfortunately, since a child support order was never entered saying that child support is due or accruing then neither you nor your daughter can go after the biological father for retroactive child support.

All My Best,


Read more
Answered on 5/30/16, 11:35 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Rhode Island