Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Rhode Island

My wife died unexpectedly, having no will. Now I need to transfer her stocks to myself. The bank asked for a short certificate. Do I need to obtain one?

Asked on 12/13/10, 10:38 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Staff General Counsel LawyersCollaborative

Likely the bank meant ”death certificate,“ not ”short certificate.“

You can obtain a death certificate - though probably wise to get 4 or 5 - by contacting RI Dept of Health Office of Vital Records:

Be aware, you may need to open an estate for her and file an estate tax return.

Consider consulting with a good, honest local lawyer to help you.

Condolences on your loss,

Scott Summer, Staff General Counsel


Note:  The above information does not constitute legal advice. Unless a written Collaborative Representation Agreement has been signed, neither LawyersCollaborative nor any of its Staff General Counsel is your legal representative.

Read more
Answered on 12/18/10, 11:19 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Rhode Island