Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Rhode Island

wrongful death

where would i find the file on a wrongful death claim filed in ri. the attorney handeling it has refused to devilge info to anyone but the administrator and he does not speak to me

Asked on 8/20/08, 11:58 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Staff General Counsel LawyersCollaborative

Re: wrongful death

A law suit typically begins when one files a Complaint in the office of the Clerk of the Court, at which time the clerk will open a new file for the matter. All filings relating to that suit will then be kept with the file.

Your question refers to a ”wrongful death claim“; if an actual law suit was filed, you would find documents related to the suit in the clerk's office for the Court in the County where the suit was filed.

If you give the clerk's office the name of the person who died, the clerk's office should be able to help you determine whether there is a law suit listing that person's name and, if so, such files generally are public records that you could review.

You can find contact information for each court here:

If a probate estate has been opened - from your email it appears one has - then you may want to start with a review of the probate court's fie.

Good luck,


Read more
Answered on 8/20/08, 1:20 pm
David Slepkow Slepkow Slepkow & Associates, Inc.

Wrongful death in Rhode Island

If a wrongful death lawsuit has been filed in Rhode Island (RI) you can go to superior Court and review the file. The Court file for the personal injury case is a public record which you can read and copy at the court house. Without more information I cannot determine whether you should retain a Rhode Island Personal injury lawyer.

Read more
Answered on 8/20/08, 3:02 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Rhode Island