Legal Question in Family Law in South Carolina

If my ex husband has primary custody but then he decides to work away from home during the week do I have the right to have my child if he is not home with our child?

Asked on 3/15/13, 7:33 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

John Jackson Law Office of John A. Jackson, P.C.

Maybe, maybe not. Read your final order to see what it says. You might have to go back to court to have custody modified.

Read more
Answered on 3/15/13, 7:39 am
Ben Stevens The Stevens Firm, P.A. Family Law Center

The answer will typically be "no", but your specific answer will depend on the language in your final order. However, you may be able to use the changed circumstances to seek a modification of the prior order.

These are complex issues, and it is important that they be handled correctly. Therefore, it is important that you consult an experienced family law attorney to find out what options are available to you based on the facts of your particular case.

If you need more information, you can visit my family law blog ( or our website ( I wish you the best of luck.

Ben Stevens

Read more
Answered on 3/17/13, 10:40 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in South Carolina