Legal Question in Criminal Law in South Carolina

I Have been charged with giving false information to a police officer. I was called by my daughter, from her telephone,and told by her that she had shoplifted. I spoke with the officer on the phone, and he told me that my daughter could be released to my adult son. She was never taken to the police department. She was released to my son from the mall. When my daughter arrived home, she stated that it was not her that shoplifted, but her friend. I turned all the information over to the friends mother, and she called to clear the false information. The next day the police officer called me and stated that I said that she was my daughter by the name that she gave him. I do not recall him saying anything other than my daughter. What should I do?

Asked on 3/16/10, 12:43 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Johnston Law Offices of Robert J. Johnston

Your question is an intelligent one. The problem is, in order to completely answer it a lawyer would be typing all night. There are oodles of aspects to a criminal charge and it would require an explanation of the court process, how to assert a defense, how to go through the discovery process, and so on and so on. The best thing you can do is to sit down with, or at least telephone an attorney who can ask the necessary questions to fill in the blanks and who would then be in a position to advise you as to what decisions you would need to make.

If this is in Horry or Georgetown counties, then that is an area of SC that my firm handles. I am happy personally speaking with you in the event that you would like to call.

Robert Johnston


Read more
Answered on 3/21/10, 7:50 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in South Carolina