Legal Question in Criminal Law in South Carolina

if the victim tells the judge they have never seen the defendant before,can the jucdge still make the defendant pay a bond to be released ? this was a bond court judge...when i tried to tell him it was a case of mistaken identity,he disregarded me and said"this is not the forum for that" i wound up bonding out through a bond company,went to court ten or so days later , the case was not called , i left my adress and phone number with the clerk as directed zand left...after about 13 months i bought a house and moved , my number changed but i didnt think about the bond company...i thought that case was over...almost two years later the bond company arrested me at work revoked my bond and i was left in jail for 55 days losing my job and now on the verge of forclosure becausei cant get a job with an assault charge on my record...what legal recourse do i have?

Asked on 8/29/13, 11:04 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Johnston Law Offices of Robert J. Johnston

One possibility is having the conviction expunged from your record. You didn't give any dates, so I don't know if enough time has past. There is a waiting period from the conviction before a person can have a conviction expunged. Then there are some other rules, which state which cases can or cannot be expunged, and a few other things. You can contact your county solicitor's office. They are the ones that actually process expungements. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 8/29/13, 1:13 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in South Carolina