Legal Question in Family Law in South Carolina

Closed Childsupport Case and Arrears

My husband's exwife closed their childsupport case in California, when she and their children moved to our town here in South Carolina. This happened about 2 years ago. He pays her support monthly, but if she gets mad at him she threatens to reopen the old case for the old arrears. Can she do this?

Asked on 2/06/09, 8:37 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Ben Stevens The Stevens Firm, P.A. Family Law Center

Re: Closed Childsupport Case and Arrears

It depends on how she "closed" the case and what the applicable law is in CA. In SC, if she dismisses the arrearage, then she cannot go back after it at a later date. However, the law could be very different in CA, and you should contact an attorney there to find out the details. If you need more information, you can visit my family law blog ( or our website ( I wish you the best of luck.

Ben Stevens

Read more
Answered on 2/11/09, 2:56 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in South Carolina