Legal Question in Family Law in South Carolina

The father of a 2 month old child has taken a paternity test and it determined that the child was his. He is afraid that the mother will not allow him to see the child because he does not want a relationship with her, what should he do?

Asked on 2/16/12, 12:09 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Russell W. Hall III The Office of Russell W. Hall III

If the mother and father were not married to one another at conception or birth and are not now married to one another, the father will need to petition the court for visitation rights.

Read more
Answered on 2/16/12, 1:38 pm
Ben Stevens The Stevens Firm, P.A. Family Law Center

The father's best option is most likely going to be to retain an attorney and file an action in Family Court to seek visitation (or custody). Of course, more information would be needed about his specific situation before any specific advice could be given.

These are complex issues, and it is important that they be handled correctly. Therefore, it is important that you consult an experienced family law attorney to find out what options are available to you based on the facts of your particular case.

If you need more information, you can visit my family law blog ( or our website ( I wish you the best of luck.

Ben Stevens

Read more
Answered on 2/16/12, 6:15 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in South Carolina