Legal Question in Family Law in South Carolina

Grandparent rights in South Carolina

My grandson has been living with my husband & I for 6 months. Neither parent has custody of him but his maternal Uncle has custody.

He is living with a women with 3 children, doesn't send his child support to us we are the child's Paternal Grandparents. What recourse, if any, do have to gain custody or joint custody.

Thanking you in advance.

Asked on 1/30/09, 2:28 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Ben Stevens The Stevens Firm, P.A. Family Law Center

Re: Grandparent rights in South Carolina

Based on the limited facts you provided, it sounds as though you have a good chance of getting custody of the child from the uncle. Of course, the parents are still a factor in all this and there are other facts which can materially affect this case and what you should do at this time.

These are complex issues, and it is important that they be handled correctly. Therefore, it is important that you consult an experienced family law attorney to find out what options are available to you based on the facts of your particular case.

If you need more information, you can visit my family law blog ( or our website ( I wish you the best of luck.

Ben Stevens

Read more
Answered on 2/02/09, 11:35 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in South Carolina