Legal Question in Family Law in South Carolina

i have been living with the same man for over 13 years we desided to go our seperate ways what are my rites as far as tax returns or 401k

Asked on 1/30/11, 7:55 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Ben Stevens The Stevens Firm, P.A. Family Law Center

If you are not married (common law or otherwise), then you probably have no rights to any of his property, including his retirement account. Merely living together does not mean that you acquire any such rights.

These are complex issues, and it is important that they be handled correctly. Therefore, it is important that you consult an experienced family law attorney to find out what options are available to you based on the facts of your particular case.

If you need more information, you can visit my family law blog ( or our website ( I wish you the best of luck.

Ben Stevens

Read more
Answered on 2/08/11, 7:53 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in South Carolina