Legal Question in Family Law in South Carolina

Moving out of state

I would like to know if my ex-husband can stop me from moving out of South Carolina with our two children. He has visitation every other weekend, and rotating holidays.

Asked on 3/09/09, 8:46 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Ben Stevens The Stevens Firm, P.A. Family Law Center

Re: Moving out of state

He cannot stop _you_ from moving out of state, but he can ask the Court to keep the _children_ here in SC (which may have the same result). There are many factors that the Court considers in relocation cases, and it's hard to get into specifics in this forum.

These are complex issues, and it is important that they be handled correctly. Therefore, it is important that you consult an experienced family law attorney to find out what options are available to you based on the facts of your particular case.

If you need more information, you can visit my family law blog ( or our website ( I wish you the best of luck.

Ben Stevens

Read more
Answered on 3/10/09, 8:16 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in South Carolina