Legal Question in Family Law in South Carolina

My parents have been taking care of my niece and nephew for six months and the mother has not provided them with any help. I have her youngest daughter and she has not followed up the the child's papers. I have no rights to take her to the doctor or even get milk for her. She does not have a ss card or a birth certificate only a medicaid card. Her wic is no longer active and she is only 9 months. I have had her for 3 months. Before me she has been in the hands of others. Can we file child abandonment for all three or just for the two oldest?

Asked on 1/24/12, 6:06 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Russell W. Hall III The Office of Russell W. Hall III

You and your parents can petition the court for custody of all three children immediately. Your parents can seek to terminate the mothers right to the children that have been in their care for six months or more on the grounds of no support for six months and no visitation for six months. You can do the same once the child has been outside her mother's home for six months and she has not visited with or supported the child. Along with terminating the mother's rights, you would seek to adopt the children.

Read more
Answered on 1/24/12, 6:18 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in South Carolina